Thursday, August 9, 2012

Explore: Faerieworlds Stone Circle vs. Stonehenge

On Tuesday my travel writing class went to Buford Park in Eugene, next to Mt. Pisgah. Brandon and I like to go on hike-walks there with Oscar, but I'd never been to the Buford Park part. The first stop on our walk was the field where Faerieworlds, an annual fairy themed festival, takes place. Across the open field was a stone circle, and as we walked towards it our teacher remarked that she thought the stones were much bigger, which reminded me of my trip to Stonehenge. As our tour guide at Stonehenge pointed out, most people think Stonehenge would have been bigger in real life. So I thought I'd compare and contrast the two.

Approaching the Faerieworlds stone circle through a field was similar to aproaching Stonehenge, in that you also have to walk across a field. 
Apporaching Stonehenge. You almost can't believe you are really seeing it in person.
Approaching the Faerieworlds stone circle. Not quite the same awe-inducing effect, but it is cool that this is in the middle of a field in Eugene. Unexpected. 











Hmmm...not quite the same impact. But I appreciate the effort!


3 comments:

  1. Love this! The picture of you and your husband is adorable. I feel like the faerieworlds rocks need a makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is a wonderful take on the rock formations, and I love the comparative photos. (I've got one of Stonehenge which I'll bring you tomorrow.) It would be interesting to know the long history of Stonehenge, and the short history (a year old?) of the FaerieWorlds stones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The compare and contrast is hilarious! Poor Faerieworlds stones, they try to be impressive. This is a brilliant idea. And, I'm so glad you shared the pictures of Stonehenge because they are gorgeous! I would love to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs